I am rarely without a jar of hummus in my refrigerator and there are endless ways to make it. One of the easiest is to add some store bought roasted bell peppers, that comes in a glass jar packed in oil. You can use as many slices as you want. It’s that easy. And adding the roasted peppers changes the flavor and you have a different tasting hummus without any effort. And the best part is you really don’t need a recipe. Always give it a taste and season to your liking.
I’ve also used grilled artichokes (also from a glass jar/store bought). The possibilities are endless. So, get creative and give your palette a new and different experience.
- 1 15-oz. can organic chickpeas, preferably unsalted (save the liquid)
- 1 tablespoon of liquid from can chickpeas
- 2-3 slices of roasted bell peppers (jar/store bought)
- 2 tablespoons organic lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, or roasted garlic
- 2-3 tablespoon of organic olive or avocado oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh organic herb of your choice, like basil, parsley, mint, etc.
- 1/3 cup of organic tahini
- 1/3 cup of organic baby spinach or any greens
- Roasted bell peppers
- Smoked paprika
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Fruit slices like apples, pears, etc.
In a blender, pour the chickpeas and a quarter of its liquid. You can add more or less to your liking.
Add the rest of the ingredients including any optional ingredients and blend for about 2-4 minutes om medium speed to desired consistency.
Give it a taste and adjust to your liking. You can drizzle some more oil as a topping and sprinkle some smoked paprika, pumpkin seeds, or nuts or just enjoy as it is.
Serve with veggie sticks, tortilla chips, or apple or pear slices. So good for you and so yummy. Enjoy!