Poor Woman’s Favorite Quinoa Salad 6 servings
Quinoa salad is one of my favorite poor woman’s meals for lunch or dinner. And you don’t even need a recipe. Just put everything in a giant bowl and season to your liking. You can make a million variation of a quinoa salad, but here’s a good and reliable basic quinoa recipe to start with. You can use a salad dressing you have around the house or make your own with ingredients you already have. I use whatever veggies I have and need to eat up. So, use whatever you have and like. I also add fruits, fresh or dried, and nuts to make it more nutritious, and sometimes, I add granola for flavor, crunch, and to bulk up the salad. Sometimes, I make the salad spicy with some hot sauce, chili flakes, and jalapenos. I put everything but the kitchen sink in this salad! I make a giant batch and eat it throughout the week. It’s economical, healthy, vegan, gluten free, and delicious.Ingredients
- 1 cup organic red or white or both quinoa
- 1 small red or white onion, chopped
- 1 can organic chickpeas or back beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium organic cucumber, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup organic Italian parsley, organic basil or chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup organic olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or any wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the quinoa by following the instructions on the packet. I actually use a rice cooker since I don’t have a stove and it works great.
- After the quinoa is cooked, let it rest and cool to warm temperature.
- Place the quinoa in a large mixing bowl, add all the veggies, fruits (if you’re using), herbs, and the dressing, and toss gently.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can eat this right away or let it marinate for 10-15 minutes.