Hummus is one of my favorite food that is healthy, economical, delicious, and requires no cooking or even a kitchen. I can just have hummus and some veggies and/or tortilla chips for a meal and I am happy. And since I don’t throw anything away, I use the liquid from the can of chickpeas to make the hummus creamy and use less oil, which saves me both money and calories.
You can actually make hummus without tahini, but adding it definitely makes it creamier and powerfully nutritious. You can even use peanut or almond butter in place of tahini. I’ve even used creamy avocado in its place and it was amazing and so buttery.
I also use up things that are about to go bad in my refrigerator like greens, herbs, carrots, onions, and even pickled veggies like jalapeno or roasted peppers. The hummus variations are unlimited, so come up with your own original hummus.
In place of raw garlic, which can upsets some tummies, you can use roasted garlic or use garlic salt, but make sure you don’t add the extra salt.
I use my hummus as a dip, but also as a sandwich spread in place of mayo or on toast. It’s yummy and I know my body is getting lots of protein (from the chickpeas) and nutrients, so I can enjoy it without worry or guilt.
- 1 15-oz. can organic chickpeas, preferably unsalted (save the liquid)
- 1 tablespoon of liquid from can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons organic lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, or roasted garlic
- 2-3 tablespoon of organic olive or avocado oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh organic herb of your choice, like basil, parsley, mint, etc.
- 1/3 cup of organic tahini
- 1/3 cup of organic baby spinach or any greens
- Roasted bell peppers
- Smoked paprika
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Fruit slices like apples, pears, etc.
In a blender, pour the chickpeas and a quarter of its liquid. You can add more or less to your liking.
Add the rest of the ingredients including any optional ingredients and blend for about 2-4 minutes om medium speed to desired consistency.
Give it a taste and adjust to your liking. You can drizzle some more oil as a topping and sprinkle some smoked paprika, pumpkin seeds, or nuts or just enjoy as it is.
Serve with veggie sticks, tortilla chips, or apple or pear slices. So good for you and so yummy. Enjoy!