Half of my family loves eggnog and the others hate it. So, I make a small batch. But there’s no doubt that traditional eggnog are truly unhealthy, full of heavy dream, processed sugar, cholesterol, all resulting in high calories. One cup of eggnog contains about 350 calories, 140 milligrams of cholesterol, and 20 grams of sugar. It’s even more with store bought ones or at Starbucks (540 calories). Eek!
This year, try this healthy and yet delicious eggnog that will keep your family and friends healthy and the same dress size, and they don’t have to know. They don’t ask anyway.
As always, opt for fresh, real, and organic ingredients as much as possible.
For those who don’t like eggnog, a warm apple cider does the trick.
- 6 organic large egg yolks (pasteurized preferred)
- 1/3 cup organic maple syrup
- 3 cup organic whole milk, or non dairy such as organic almond, cashew, soy, etc.
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (preferably organic)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (preferably organic)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place eggs, maple syrup, and milk in a pot over medium heat.
- Whisk regularly until the mixture coats the back of a wooden or metal spoon slightly.
- Remove from the heat cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the spices and vanilla.
- Chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Whisk well before serving.